Total Control Advance Riding Clinic (ARC)
$230 for all current and former MSCV students, U.S. military personnel and first responders
(law enforcement, fire, and EMS) USE “PROMO 95”
Click on any link to the right for course dates & prices
Who it is for: In today’s age of high-horsepower superbikes, large-displacement cruisers and super-heavy-weight tourers, riding skills are more important than ever for safe, fun motorcycling. Unfortunately for experienced riders, there is a large gap between the Experienced Rider Course and the many racetrack schools around the country. Many riders are interested in improving their skills but are unwilling to take on the additional risks associated with a high-speed environment.
How It Works: Part of the reason for the program’s success is the dynamic classroom training, which includes both theory and application of the Total Control ARC techniques. By including a basic analysis of vehicular dynamics, riders get a clear understanding of how their actions affect their bikes. For instance, in the suspension portion of the class, riders learn how to analyze the effectiveness of their suspension and how to set it up for maximum control and comfort.
The range portion of the training is done in a large parking lot or skid pad where each of the skills are individually broken down and practiced. Working on only one skill at a time is the fastest way to make consistent riding improvements. The beauty of doing it this way is that the student is never asked to make a huge “leap of faith” in any one area. Each skill is built up in small two-mph increments until the desired result is achieved. This allows for high confidence and never gets too scary. In fact, cornering speeds never go above 25 mph. While this may seem slow, in a tight enough corner, 25 is very, very fast. Combined with a strategic “building block” formula for integrating the individual skills into a complete riding package, the Total Control ARC enables riders to learn faster and easier than ever before. Equally important, all the Total Control ARC skills are taught with their direct applications for street riding. After all, knowing how to do something is of little value if you do not understand when and where to use it.
What It Covers: Cornering technique is the primary focus of the Total Control ARC. Individual skills include corner entry, line selection, body position and corner exit. There are slightly different versions of these depending on the type of bike ridden, but all follow the same philosophical principals that are taught in the course. Throttle control and throttle/brake transitions are also covered in great detail. Additionally, super-tight, low-speed, “parking lot” turns are taught.
Requirements: All students must provide their own motorcycle or scooter and have at least one year of riding experience. Motorcycle or scooter should be in proper working order, including cooling and charging systems, and a battery that is in good condition. For students with less than two years of experience, it is advised (though not required) that they have completed an MSF ERC. Protective gear is required for all students, which include a DOT-approved helmet (full-face recommended), motorcycle jacket and pants, gloves and boots that cover the ankles. Jeans and fingerless gloves are not allowed, but Kevlar jeans will be accepted. Absolutely no race tires or race compound tires allowed regardless if they are DOT approved.
The Riding Gear You Will Need for Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic (TC-ARC)
Riding Gear Requirements Defined (TC-ARC)
- Helmet – Full-face, 3/4 face helmets are acceptable provided that they meet minimum DOT certification. Personal helmets are subject to inspection for the DOT certification and they are in good working condition. Full face helmets are recommended for TC-ARC, 3/4 face helmets will be allowed
- Eye protection – Face shield, goggles or some form of sun/eye glasses. They may be tinted or clear. Ordinary prescription glasses may be worn.
- Gloves – Must be full finger and cannot be open on the back of the hand. Almost any full finger glove may be used: motorcycle gloves, garden gloves, mechanics gloves and batting gloves are acceptable. (Mom’s dishwashing gloves and surgeon’s gloves are NOT acceptable)
- NOTE: For the Total Control Advance Riding Clinic (TC-ARC), Jeans or denim will not be permitted unless they are made of motorcycle leather, kevlar, cordura or better.
- Jacket and Pants – Jacket & Pants MUST be Motorcycle Leathers, Motorcycle Kevlar, Cordura or better to attend the TC-ARC (Chaps with jeans is permitted for TC-ARC, Full face helmets are recommended for TC-ARC, 3/4 face helmets will be allowed
- Shoes/Boots – Over the ankle footwear with little to no heel. Shoes can be an athletic or hiking shoe that provides reinforced ankle support. Boots are preferred. Your footwear should have a good rubber sole for traction and the heel shouldn’t be higher than what is commonly on a “workman’s boot”. Thin fabric shoes made of canvas or other fabrics that do not provide support are not acceptable. The classic Converse All Star “Chuck Taylor” or dress shoe are examples of shoes that DO NOT meet the requirements.
If you need to reschedule your class, you must contact us in writing 7 days prior to your class start date with the following information:
- Phone Number(s) so we can communicate with you should we have questions or notifications
- Confirmation #
- Two or More Alternate Dates should your first selection be filled
- Reschedule/Transfer Payment of $35.00: Money orders or credit cards only and must come with request. Payable to MSCV, Inc., 11555 Fox Cross Road, Ashland, Virginia 23005 (please do not send cash in the mail)
For example, If your original class was on a Friday evening , we must be notified no later than 5:00 P.M. EDT, 7 days before your Friday class start date.
Rescheduling notices received 7 days or less of your class start date, will not be permitted. Please plan on attending or your total payment(s) will be forfeited. No reschedules, free seats, free class(s), credits, discounts or refunds.
A minimum of 4 students is required to conduct the Basic Rider Course, Skills Practice Course or Sidecar/Can-Am/Trike Course. Less than 4 students may require rescheduling. Contact the office at 804-368-0989 for clarification when in question.
Cancelation Policy (70% refund for eligible notifications) Revised 07/01/2016
If you find you need to cancel your scheduled class, we will refund 70% of your tuition, if you notify us in writing 7 days prior to the first day of your class no later than the close of business at 5:00 P.M. EDT. Eligible refunds will be made by check or credit to your credit card
Example – If your original class was on a Friday evening, MSCV, Inc. must be notified no later than 5:00 P.M. EDT 7 days prior to your Friday class start date. If your payment was $150.00, we subtract the 30% ($45.00) for cancellation & processing fees, your refund would be $105.00. We will mail a check or credit your credit card depending on your method of payment upon registration. MSCV, Inc. will process your request for a refund within five business days from receipt of notification if you qualified for a refund.
E-MAIL, FAX AND U. S. POSTAL SERVICE IS PREFERED for cancellation notices. No phone calls, we need written audit trails. E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org , fax- 804-368-0987, 368-0989 or U. S. Postal @ 11555 Fox Cross Road, Ashland Va. 23005
NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE. E-mail, Fax or USPS protects everyone with a time and date stamp.
ALL cancellation notices received 7 days or less before the first day of your class will result in a non-refundable tuition, registration and fees. We regret we cannot accommodate your request for any refund if received 7 days or less prior to the first day of your class. Many times throughout the year, it is difficult to re-sell your seat with less than 10 days notice. day
If you purchased your seat (Class) with 7 days or less before the start of your class and decide to cancel, you will NOT be entitled to any refund, free class, discounted class, free or paid reschedule or any compensation. You will forfeit your entire purchase price. Please think twice before purchasing a class within 7 days or less.
WE CANNOT ACCEPT ANY EXCUSES OR REASON.
Our zero tolerance Policy is respectful and fairness to all students, past, present and future who will or have agreed to these terms. Thank you. who have accepted a loss or for those that will be confronted with a similar situation.
Please make every effort to attend, thank you.
Inclement weather cancellations by MSCV, Inc. or cancellation due to circumstances beyond our control: call us @ 804-368-0989 for a recorded message regarding your class. If a cancellation is necessary we will have a message stating the reason and recourse. If there is no message referencing the weather or circumstances, then your class is still scheduled to begin. If cancelled, you will have one year from the date of cancellation to reschedule your class. NO REFUNDS. We do not charge to reschedule due to a weather related cancellation when cancelled by MSCV only.
(A one time FREE reschedule will be offered for this weather related event.)